Saturday, June 16, 2012

Grilled Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches w/ Fiery Tomato Sauce


So for this weekend I decided to do a contest for Johnsonville Brats. I had to make a kabob recipe out of one of many selections of sausages from Johnsonville.


I decided to go with the Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausages. I've always liked sweet pork sausage so it only made since to me to do a Sausage & Pepper dish like you get at the carnival.

Ingredients


-1 pack of Johnsonville sweet Italian sausages
- 2 bell peppers any color
- 2 tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Italian Seasoning (I made my own: 1/2 tbsp tarragon, 1/2 tbsp basil, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2                  tbsp Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tbsp garlic, salt, pepper)
- 1 Jalapeno
- skewers  
- 6 Hoagie Rolls

Directions
First off these would pair good with a nice pitcher of Sangria or some Hard Cider beer. Cube up your sausage, peppers, and tomatoes.


Skewer those bad boys up. Any order, it doesn't matter. Salt and pepper. Oh! light your grill too! Slice your hoagie rolls down the center, and butter them up as well.




In the middle of this whole process I had to put everything away and go to my son's baseball game. It's his first year playing and he's picking it up great. He went 5 for 5 with a double and made a great play at 2nd base. The whole team did great!! 
Once I got home, I then poured the sauce into a small grill pan. (I used my baby cast iron skillet) added my Italian seasoning and chopped up a jalapeno and added that as well. Then mixed it up.


Grill up your skewers until you have a nice char on the peppers and the sausage is done. I like to brown everything on each side then stack them up on top of  each other and let them finish cooking on the cold side by closing the grill. It ensures you don't burn them and gives you some time to enjoy a cocktail!


While your kabob's are still cooking, toast up your hoagies, and heat up your fiery tomato sauce.


Once they're finished. Just put a kabob on a hoagie. Grasp the bun and pull out the skewer. Top it with your fiery tomato sauce. Have a few cocktails afterwards of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment